Friday, September 21, 2007

Wow! I'm really gonna have a baby!!!


I'm 18 weeks pregnant today. I tested positive before the 4 week mark, so you'd think by now I'd be used to it. I'm not though. I've seen this child on ultrasound at 7 weeks, listened to his/her heartbeat many times. I even borrowed a doppler from my wonderful midwife so that I could reassure myself when having moments of doubt. I don't feel pregnant and seem to forget all the time that certain things might not be a good idea, like having a glass of wine, or an extra cup of coffee. The other day I was working outside sealing our deck and a friend mentioned "Is that okay with the chemicals?" For about a half a second I had to think about what she was talking about. Oh yeah, there's a baby in there!

It's not that I totally forget completely every day, though. I do check my blood sugar from time to time since I had some blood sugar problems in the beginning that miraculously got better on their own. I'm slightly worried about developing gestational diabetes, so I'm careful about what I eat. I take my prenatal vitamins daily. Please don't think I'm just ignoring this pregnancy and living on the edge (though that would only mean that I'm eating sushi and drinking an extra cup of coffee every day!). It's just that many many times throughout the day I get this reality check that yes I am pregnant.

I think today it's finally hitting me. I'm 18 weeks exactly today. Three days ago I went to a prenatal with my midwife and her assistants. Monday we are going in for our big ultrasound with the OB. I hope this baby will reveal himself/herself because I think once we know the gender it will be easier to bond.

This morning I was reading a message board and someone a really cool ticker that said she was 18 weeks, so I had to go get one for myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look fantatic for being 18 weeks pregnant. I am so excited for you and your family. Keep us posted.