Sunday, September 23, 2007

Keilbasa Apple Pasta Bake




This is yummy stuff! I've been making this for years every autumn and it's my husband's favorite. I made it for dinner last night and thought I'd share the recipe. As you can see, it's not organic or healthy in any way, but I bet you could use healthier ingredients like organic milk and cheese, whole wheat pasta, and organic turkey sausage. If you try it, please leave a comment and let me know what you think :)

Kielbasa Apple Pasta Bake

1 lb rigatoni
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 quart milk
3 Fuji apples, cut up into 1 inch cubes
3 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 package fully cooked kielbasa, sliced

Heat oven to 350 and coat a 10 cup baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large deep pot, cook rigatoni.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan heat oil over med-high heat. Add onion, cook until soft. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute.

Stir in 2 cups of cheese into milk. Stir until melted, then toss pasta, cheese sauce, kielbasa and apples. Spoon into baking dish and bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle 1 cup of cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this Kathy!!!

Anonymous said...

Made this for my family last night, it was a big hit! Thanks for sharing.