Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It's working!!!!


We started our 3rd week of school yesterday and so far we are doing very well with math but have decided to start at the beginning with reading. I put away the Advanced K language arts curriculum for now and we are doing daily lessons from Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons. So far so good. We are on lesson 8 and progressing smoothly. Once she can read well, we'll pull out the Adv K curriculum and start over again.

Animal Worlds is going well too, but I didn't know this until yesterday. We have been studying the African Savanna, learning about what types of animals live in the grasslands. Every day we read in our DK Animal Encyclopedia and our One Small Square African Savanna book, in addition to some other books that we look at only a few times a week each.

I really thought Maddie wasn't enjoying it, but yesterday while I was cooking dinner, she pulled out some plain white paper and announced "I'm going to draw the grasslands!" She started by drawing ants climbing blades of grass. She learned how to do this earlier in the day using Ed Emberly's Drawing Book of Animals. After she drew the ants, she added a gazelle and a lion, asking me to open the Animal Encyclopedia so she could be sure to draw them correctly.

In addition to all that I've mentioned above, I am reading to them daily from Socks by Beverly Cleary, The Little Learners Bible Storybook, and we are studying Geography using a great Children's Atlas that I picked up last week at Books A Million.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yea!! Yea for you and for her! I love homeschooling. Even when other people do it!