Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Time Traveling Hamster

Ok. Where do I begin?

Today was an emotional day for me. We have a lot going on in our family.  I haven't slept more than 3 hours a night for at least a week. My oldest daughter began her senior year of high school today. Then, as I was sipping my morning coffee, I noticed Maddie's little hamster's leg was caught in the corner of the cage. After about 5 minutes, I was able to get her free, but her poor little leg is flat now. It's definitely broken. I read that hamsters in pain will starve themselves to death, so I was a bit of a wreck trying to figure out how to tell my daughter.

All of the emotions I've been feeling lately just welled up and I had to cry. Over a hamster. Really. But only for a minute and really only because I knew my daughters heart would be so sad if she lost her little hamster.

Thankfully, the lcritter seems to be eating and drinking well, and we moved her to a new glass home. Hopefully now she won't be able to hurt herself again.

After the emotional day we had, I guess we were all a little loopy and I let the kids stay up until 10 o'clock so that we could make background scenery for the hamster. Today she traveled back to 1666 to the Great Fire of London. The kids had the best time making the flames and coloring the picture for the background, and I know this is something they won't forget. In four years when we are studying this time period again and we cover this topic, they will remember the Time Traveling Hamster and the Great Fire. This is what I love about homeschooling. We can decide on the fly, at 9:30 at night to do an off the wall history project.












1 comment:

Alayna said...

YES! Some of our best learning comes after dark! My kids have to run and play during the day then right before bedtime they ALWAYS get so engrossed in whatever they're doing/playing... they're usually playing so well together around that time that I hate to rush bedtime and ruin the 2 seconds of peace! So yes, I totally get that and agree this will be something they remember forever!!!

And, that's a really cute idea ~ to have them create scenery for their pet based on a time period. Never would've thought of it!!! We're making our betas something cool tomorrow. =D

I'm sorry about the hamster! :( And can not BELIEVE your oldest is a senior this year! Wow. {gulp}